Saturday 20 August 2011

Hospital duties

Earlier this month I had to take my trouble and strife to the hospital for a little bit of plumbing but the whole environment brought back to me the different aromas and fragrances one finds in such places, you remember the invigorating smells of dettol based substances and the whole concept of bacterial products to ward off the nasty infections that are so prevalent in such places.
However on this occasion in the 21st century, the seeking of such comfortable and memorable smells seemed sadly lacking, the whole environment established a far more clinical and sterile area devoid of those somewhat friendly if not noxious substances of yesteryear.
The staff were pleasantly affable ahead of the busy day ahead of them as they kept themselves busy with paperwork and pre-operative assessments, and my wife; well to say she was a consummate patient would be understated, her behaviour was more applicable with someone that was totally at peace with her life and that by being in for day surgery was merely a blip in her already busy daily agenda. The serenity afforded by her in that time leading up to her operation was not only commendable but strangely bizarre in the extreme, her manner and calmness was a lesson for all of us that would be scared by the very nature of our predicament.
When I had left her on that hospital trolley being wheeled to her fate and headed for a lunch date, my mind started playing cruel tricks on me and the only thing I could ask myself was " why? " if my best friend and partner could cope with the event about to happen to her in that aseptic room down the corridor, then where was my belief? Yes it makes the individual wonder where there own courage has gone to, evaporation into the ether not that far away!!! It is a sobering thought that my wife and life partner can treat both fear and happiness in the same manner whereas her spouse has enough trouble believing that tomorrow will be a far more successful day than the current one, it teaches people like me the benefit and need to deal positively with every obstacle confronting us rather than seeing a scenario as a insurmountable hurdle that is far too difficult to achieve a major success from it. Constructive food for thought I think and I have my lovely wife to thank me for the lesson in maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment